GW Photos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Liz
Liz

Juvenile newts Empty Juvenile newts

Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:26 pm
Well I wasn't expecting this. I ended up in a different part of the forest than planned (due to the hunt  Juvenile newts 1f621 - thank goodness it's the end of the season). So I went to see how a puddle of tadpoles was doing (very well, thank you), and spotted a shape. A newtish shape

Juvenile newts Img_7210

It's incredibly hard to get any sort of shot of something lurking in the mud in a dirty puddle, so I apologise for the image quality but I'm pleased to have go anything. But then as I looked, I noticed something moving, and there were 2 more emerging from their leaves.

Juvenile newts Img_7310

One brand new, just emerged juvenile newt. It looked rather shocked at its new world.

CrankyYankee, Coccinella and Paul (was LunarSea) like this post

Anna
Anna

Juvenile newts Empty Re: Juvenile newts

Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:53 pm
Got to love a newt!
CrankyYankee
CrankyYankee

Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:59 pm
Very cool! I think I've only seen a newt once in my life; we have more salamanders where I am.
Liz
Liz

Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:29 am
No more photos but a quick update. We checked the newt 'pond' (in fact a storm rain run-off ditch) and it is just full of newts. There are several of these ditches along the same track but no evidence of newts in any of the others. This one, though, is teeming. We must have seen maybe 15 or so, and there are certainly more than that.

Not good news for the tadpoles, though. None left that we could see. I guess it's just very bad luck that the frog spawned in the same ditch as the newts.

These ditches will all dry out at some point but we've had plenty of rain to keep some, including the newt one, topped up, so fingers crossed they will be ok until it's time to venture onto dry land.

Anna likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum