GW Photos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

A very baby bird - maybe a first day out of the egg and fallen from the nest - deceased Empty A very baby bird - maybe a first day out of the egg and fallen from the nest - deceased

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:13 pm
We have two or three house sparrow nests under the eaves - many along the street. I have not seen this young a bird before. So small! I found it in the garden, under the eaves.

Fascinating to see the beginning of the feathers, the nostril, the gape, thr brain and the dark intestines. The eyes not open yet. It weighs 3g, which, according the link suggests the bird is pretty much as small as it gets outside the egg.

https://sites.tufts.edu/babybirds/bird/house-sparrow/

A very baby bird - maybe a first day out of the egg and fallen from the nest - deceased First_10
Liz
Liz

A very baby bird - maybe a first day out of the egg and fallen from the nest - deceased Empty Re: A very baby bird - maybe a first day out of the egg and fallen from the nest - deceased

Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:22 pm
I'm glad you've posted that, Anna. I'm not sure I would have but you have shown me I should. I agree, seeing the early development is fascinating.

Nature is hard sometimes, but that's how it is.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum