GW Photos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Taking better photos  Empty Taking better photos

Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:08 am
I don't know much about the basics of photography or the physics involved. I have an old Canon bridge camera, which I love. I notice that it's hard to get good colour captured on a dull day. Colours really seem to come alive in my pics when there is strong brightness / strong sun. I have found it off putting to try and capture my garden as everything seems too grey. Am I imagining this effect? Thoughts welcome.
Liz
Liz

Taking better photos  Empty Re: Taking better photos

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 am
I'll reply over the weekend when I have time to do it properly

Anna (was Fire) likes this post

Liz
Liz

Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm
I've decided I'm completely the wrong person to answer this, as I much prefer shooting flowers in the shade or backlit. I had a play with some campions in the garden and this is what I came up with

These are full sun, in the middle of the day

Taking better photos  Img_7913

Taking better photos  Img_7912

I really don't like the top one much, I find it harsh and the sun creates burned out white patches where it is reflected off the petals. The second is backlit and a bit better, but still it miss a delicate feel.

By contrast, this is in the evening, just picking up a little light but it's more diffuse (the light is more scattered early and late in the day)

Taking better photos  Img_8013

and this is in the shade

Taking better photos  Img_8014

And a final backlit one to pick out those gorgeous little hairs

Taking better photos  Img_8015

So yes, you do get brighter colours in strong sun but the downside (for me) is also stronger contrasts, bright to white burned out areas (really back on lesser celandine) and just an overall difference in softness. It comes down to personal preference, I like soft, muted colours.

Maybe try embracing the benefits of lower light but at the same time edit to increase saturation a bit. It's not cheating, it just adjusting to make it what you see and like, rather than what the software in your camera has decided.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:29 pm
Thanks. I think it maybe a lot to do with getting to know my camera better. The colour range I get seems so limited in dull weather - nothing pops. Whereas your campion pics are clear and 'popping' - that is, distinct and crisp. Or maybe you have a better camera and are adjusting manually?
Liz
Liz

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 pm
It's possibly the camera (Canon 60D) undoubtedly the lens (Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens), and then the processing. On the question of automatic vs manual shooting, I always use manual as I often want to be able to use the widest aperture, but then also stop down a little for insects or other reason (narrower aperture).

To show you the difference just a few tweaks of processing can make, this is the same shot of the last campion

As shot - it's ok but too dark and the details don't come out much

Taking better photos  Img_8020

This is then lightened

Taking better photos  Img_8021

and finally the levels adjusted to lighten the mid tones, which brings out the details in the structure and also gives it that light and delicate feel I like.

Taking better photos  Img_8022

I have an old version of Photoshop Elements (11). It takes a little bit of getting used to but learning just a few things can make a big difference. Do you do that sort of processing? If so, what do you use?

Coccinella and Anna (was Fire) like this post

Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 pm
I do some processing (though I find it hard on the eyes). I use Pixlr and enjoy it. I do mess with levels.
https://pixlr.com/

I wonder if cameras lose function over the years - do they get weary?  I took this shot maybe eight years ago (on my bridge) and I'm convinced my camera couldn't do it now. Or I wouldn't know how to get that clarity. It is from Switzerland with strong light. No tripod. Zero wind also is important.

There are so many varibles to change on the camera settings, that I could have changed some random setting years ago which might have changed all my pictures. Or maybe I'm just not taking enough pictures to be familiar with all the ins and outs of the setting possibilities. Perhaps I was very familar in Switzzerland and not familiar now.

Taking better photos  Hollyh10

Coccinella and LunarSea like this post

Coccinella
Coccinella

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:56 pm
That is a fantastic shot Anna. Do you still have the instruction book for your camera? As you say you might have set the camera on some particular setting. I remember fiddling with the white balance a lot, I forgot everything of course.

Anna (was Fire) and LunarSea like this post

Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:08 pm
I don't have the booklet, but the manual will be online somewhere. I did do a settings reset recently, in case I had added some odd quirk years ago.

All my photos from Switzerland were so clear and it made me think that the strong mountain light may have made a difference. I had the same with my time in Spain. I wonder if the frequencies of light is somehow different - wider or more dense.

Taking better photos  Bee110

Taking better photos  Wood_s10

Taking better photos  Chemin10
Liz
Liz

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:10 pm
That is a stunning shot, Anna. One of the best I've seen on a forum.

Have a look at this:

https://camerasunleashed.com/questions/can-cameras-lose-picture-quality/

I am on the verge of replacing my camera - an upgrade to a 2nd hand 70D - because I do think it's lost something. But, it has been appallingly looked after. I couldn't tell you how many times it ended up in the mud in the wake of an exuberant rescue dog (usually together with me). I looked at getting it cleaned but it more expensive than an as new 2nd hand. So it is probably full of all sorts of dust and other crud.

One thing that does wear, though, is the lens, especially a zoom. Each time you're zooming in or out, the friction can wear so the lens no longer focusses properly. It's a big disadvantage with a bridge, as that's the whole camera affected.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm
Hmmm. Thanks. Mine hasn't been bashed about much (I that I remember) but it has been all over the world, on planes and trains etc. over ten years. Maybe it's time for a new bridge. A Canon upgrade.

That is a stunning shot, Anna. One of the best I've seen on a forum. wrote:

Thank you for the compliment, but I have no idea how I / it did it. Knowing nothing about photography / light physics - it's all fluke or trial and error. Or great automatic settings
LunarSea
LunarSea

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:01 pm
Anna (was Fire) wrote:I don't know much about the basics of photography or the physics involved. I have an old Canon bridge camera, which I love. I notice that it's hard to get good colour captured on a dull day. Colours really seem to come alive in my pics when there is strong brightness / strong sun. I have found it off putting to try and capture my garden as everything seems too grey. Am I imagining this effect? Thoughts welcome.

I know what you mean Anna but good editing software can help to mitigate the 'dull' effect to some extent. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is a sort of hobbyist-level Photoshop rather than the serious one that the pro's use. Just using the 'Auto Levels' function alone can suddenly bring the image alive, although it sometimes goes a bit too far and I have to revert to the 'Auto Contrast' function instead. Then using the 'Vibrance' slider subtly alters the colour saturation to further enhance the 'feel-good-ness' of the image. And finally a touch of sharpness adjustment.

I'm guessing Liz will have a different view as she's not a fan of 'saturated' images but these are just some tools to help shape the outcome in your favour. At the end of the day the camera doesn't lie and you can push it a bit too far and make it look too artificial. I can certainly be accused of that sometimes.

Edit .... sorry guys I fired off in response to Anna's opening message but before reading all the following discussion and can see you've already discussed all the editing stuff. Teach me not to log on for a couple of days. Doh!

Last edited by LunarSea on Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm
There is a HDR-mimic function on Pixlr -which is useful. I find the package great for a free, or essentially free toolkit

Maybe have a look at Pixlr and see how the options compare to Photoshop Elements (top tool bar)

https://pixlr.com/editor/

Liz
Liz

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 pm
LunarSea wrote:
I'm guessing Liz will have a different view as she's not a fan of 'saturated' images but these are just some tools to help shape the outcome in your favour. At the end of the day the camera doesn't lie and you can push it a bit too far and make it look too artificial. I can certainly be accused of that sometimes.

I do like saturated images, but not when I take them! I don't know why. Yours are gorgeous and I really admire how you can produce those crisp images with clear colours, because whenever I try I'm so disappointed. Maybe I should practice more, it's tempting to fall back on what you know how to do and avoid things that are difficult.

Do you use a polarising filtre? I should, and I have one, it would probably help heaps. Me being lazy.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 pm
I had a look at Canon Powershot SX70 (the next level up from mine). I don't think I can justify spending £600 when my SX60 works pretty well.

Perhaps I conclude I should spend more time in Spain and Switzerland. Lol

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/powershot-sx70-hs/
LunarSea
LunarSea

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:33 pm
Liz wrote:Do you use a polarising filtre? I should, and I have one, it would probably help heaps. Me being lazy.

Haven't used one in years Liz. Used to when I took landscapes on slide film. But I only really take close-ups when the light is right and I can get into a good position relative to the subject. My images of late would never grace the front of a greetings card but might work in a gardening book or magazine, or even an identification guide. I guess it comes from my scientific background - I always strive for accuracy rather than an artistic impression. And of course I 'cheat' with the editing software.

Anna (was Fire) likes this post

Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 pm
Can I ask your background with photography, Luna? It sounds like you have been at it a long time. x
LunarSea
LunarSea

Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:03 am
Anna (was Fire) wrote:Can I ask your background with photography, Luna? It sounds like you have been at it a long time. x

Just a hobby Anna which I guess started when I was at Uni back in the 70's. My first camera was a Canon AE1 way before digital and a few years even before autofocus. I think I was drawn to the technical challenge of picture taking (but wasted an awful lot of film). After those early days I lapsed (apart from holiday shots) until the noughties when I splashed out on a digital SLR and a 'pro' lens (400mm f4) specifically to take bird photos. It became something of an obsession but fizzled out after a few years. After another lull I was born-again a few years ago (after retirement) when I started taking garden images which I approach in a much more relaxed way. I have since bought some new equipment. I now just enjoy myself.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:10 am
All sounds good.
LunarSea
LunarSea

Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:18 am
Anna (was Fire) wrote:I had a look at Canon Powershot SX70 (the next level up from mine). I don't think I can justify spending £600 when my SX60 works pretty well.

I've got the SX50 which I bought specifically to get proof shots (at 50x zoom) of any birds I see. I took those Ring Ouzel shots a couple of weeks ago with it. It's really light to carry. But I've never really bothered to get familiar enough with it to feel confident taking garden close-ups, whereas I feel much more in control with my SLR.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:23 am
I'd love to learn to use my SLR one day
Liz
Liz

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:04 am
If a DSLR over a hybrid is an option for you, Anna, I think you'd have more flexibility when it comes to close ups. My first digital camera was a Fuji Finepix HS10 which was good as far as it went but it did only go so far. With no possibility of changing lenses, you are stuck with what it comes with. If weight is a factor for you, have you looked at something like the Canon EOS 100D? It's very light and would then give you the option of a macro lens. These are on MPB (my go to for 2nd hand camera gear). The Tamron is the lens I use, just as an example.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/canon-eos-100d

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/tamron-sp-af-90mm-f-2-8-macro-canon-ef-fit/sku-2475939

I then have a workhorse 18-200mm: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/tamron-18-200mm-f-3-5-6-3-di-ii-vc-canon-ef-s-fit. It won't do your sexy bird photos that LunarSea, sadly, but then I'm more of a macro and landscape girl.

I personally wouldn't get another bridge, simply because if the lens wears you have nothing. But, I appreciate that's more weight than the Powershot.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:26 pm
Thanks. I have problems with vision so I find it hard to negotiate camera settings. I have a Canon EOS 700D. It's second hand and I have barely touched it since I bought it years ago.
Liz
Liz

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:15 pm
Is there anything we can help with? I mainly change the aperture, ISO and the point of focus. I also use the zoom to check focus. For 95% of the photos I now take, that's it. But equally you could use it on one of the preset functions. You could then play with extension tubes, for example.

I'm not trying to force you into anything, just trying to be helpful.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:33 pm
Liz wrote:Is there anything we can help with.

Thanks. Mostly it's an issues with my eyes and they aren't great at the moment. If they settle down I will go back to the SLR and do more exploration.
Anna (was Fire)
Anna (was Fire)

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 pm
The 'latest images' tab for this group (on my laptop), is looking really lovely as a stream of colourful and interesting pics - a great aggregation. Very inspiring!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum